What kind of attitude do you have?
- Do you face the day thinking about what is wrong in your life, the people you don’t like and the things you don’t want to do?
- Are you stressed out about work or school?
- Are you carrying a heavy load of anger, fear, bitterness or resentment?
- Do you live with self-pity and feelings of insecurity?
- Do you face the day with anticipation and hope?
- Do you look forward to meeting people at work and school?
- Are you driven by love and the desire to help other people?
- Are you confident and feel secure about yourself?
We all have a choice as to whether we have a good or bad attitude. We all face difficulties in our lives but we have the power to make our own choice. People and situations will hurt us in some way but we don’t have to allow these things to control our lives. We can face every day with a negative perspective, hating the world and ourselves but we can also face every day with a positive perspective, loving ourselves and showing love to the world. It’s not what happens in our lives that makes us the person we are, it is how we respond to these things.
Many people believe that they can’t change who they are and they will stay stuck in their bad attitudes, blaming others and the world for their problems and never attempting to make any positive changes. This negative perspective is often the result of growing up in a negative environment surrounded by people with bad attitudes and it can last a lifetime unless changes are made.
Having a positive attitude is everything. If you can’t see life with a positive perspective, you will struggle every day and never feel good about yourself or have any hope for the good future. Here are some ways to help change your attitude:
- Say positive affirmations – Start your morning with positive affirmations. As soon as you wake up, say some positive statements out loud if possible. Don’t allow time for any negative thoughts to creep into your head. Tell yourself you are going to have a great day and say it with meaning, even if you don’t really believe it. The more you repeat these statements, the more you will believe them and they will become habit. Repeat them several times during the day so you will reprogram your brain to think positive thoughts instead of negative thoughts.
- Use positive self-talk – We tend to think negative thoughts which often come out as negative words and actions so we have to try to be consciously aware of what we are thinking. When we have negative thoughts, we need to stop ourselves and replace them with positive thoughts. Always talk to yourself in a positive way.
- Surround yourself with positive people, places and things – The things you surround yourself with will greatly determine your attitude. If you are surrounded by positivity, it will lift you up and make you feel good. If you are surrounded by negativity, it will tear you down and make you feel bad. Make friends with people who are kind, encouraging and caring. Go to places that give you a feeling of peace and contentment. Look at things that make you happy. Join an organization, a church group or start an activity. This doesn’t mean you should never be around anyone that is negative because the world is full of negativity and you can’t avoid it. Just try to minimize the negative and maximize the positive.
- Read motivational books and watch programs that will inspire you – The things you watch and see have a huge impact on your attitude. Make sure you are looking at things that will reinforce positivity.
- Keep active – Doing active things are great builders of a positive attitude. When you stay fit and healthy, you feel better and enjoy life more.
- Volunteer – This is a great way to become more positive. Helping others has many benefits. It not only makes the person you are helping feel good, it helps you feel good and it can also have a positive impact on anyone else who may notice your kind act.
- Smile – Just a simple action like smiling or greeting other people can have a positive effect on your attitude. Be enthusiastic and show others that you enjoy life!
Don’t live with a negative attitude. Being positive is the only way to live. It isn’t easy and you have to constantly work hard to maintain a positive attitude but you CAN change your attitude. I know because I’ve done a complete flip and it is well worth the time and effort. Live and love life!