An emotion is a chemical response to something, a strong feeling that usually causes a physical effect such as excitement, fear or anger. Every day we feel numerous emotions that may result in something positive happening or something negative happening. Emotions are a natural and necessary part of life. They are neither right or wrong, they just happen. We can’t stop or control our emotions but we can control how we react to our emotions.
Positive emotions evoke feelings of happiness, excitement or peace. Negative emotions evoke feelings of resentment, fear or anger. However when we do not deal with our emotions properly, they can become out of control. Emotions can become addictions that will start to control us.
So many people today are addicted to anger, fear, resentment, depression and other negative emotions. This causes problems in our relationships, at work, at school and everywhere we go.
- What emotions do I feel most strongly?
- How do other people feel when I react badly from any negative emotions?
- How do I feel when I react badly from any negative emotions?
- Am I addicted to anger, fear, etc?
- Are my emotions under control?
- Do my emotions control me?
It is important that we try to overcome any negative emotional addictions so they don’t destroy us. If you want to overcome a negative emotional addiction, you need to make a commitment to change.
- take an honest evaluation of your emotions – which ones are hurting you and which ones are helping you
- get others to support you – find people who are encouraging and understanding
- find information from various sources on how to break bad habits – research, read books, talk to professionals
- focus on the positives – say daily positive affirmations, use positive self-talk
- when you have a negative emotion – stop and think before you react
- write your thoughts and emotions in a daily journal – take a few minutes at the end of each day to reflect on them
- create some positive emotional addictions (love, generosity, compassion)
Let’s not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it. ~Vincent Van Gogh, 1889