What is a New Year’s resolution? The MacMillan dictionary states: “a decision that you make on the first day of the year about the things that you intend to do or stop doing during that year”. Wow, that’s a mouthful! So a resolution is a decision that you make about things you intend to do or not do.
What is the definition of a decision? It is the process of making a choice after thinking carefully. Now in my opinion a decision is something that is not really definite and it can change according to our daily choices. So if we make a resolution, it isn’t really a firm commitment to doing or not doing anything.
I think I would rather make a promise to myself instead of a resolution. A promise is, “something that you will definitely do or make happen”. This sounds like I would be more likely to follow through.
Instead of making resolutions this year, try making some promises to yourself. Promise to stop doing something that is harming you and promise to start doing something that will help you. Here are some ideas:
- I promise I will stop making excuses and start taking action.
- I promise I will stop complaining and start appreciating.
- I promise I will stop judging other people and start accepting them as they are.
- I promise I will stop thinking about what I don’t have and start being thankful for what I do have.
- I promise I will stop comparing myself to others and start liking myself for who I really am.
- I promise I will stop blaming others and start taking responsibility for my own actions.
- I promise I will stop being afraid and work on becoming confident.
- I promise I will stop focusing on the past and start focusing on the present.
- I promise I will stop holding onto grudges and start forgiving people who have hurt me.
- I promise I will stop thinking negative thoughts and start thinking positive thoughts.
- I promise I will stop trying to control other people and start trying to control myself.
- I promise I will stop trying live up to other people’s expectations and start living up to my own expectations.
- I promise I will stop trying to impress other people and start trying to impress God.
- I promise I will stop trying to be perfect and start being the best imperfect person I can be.
- I promise I will stop being dependant on other people for my happiness and start being independent.
- I promise I will stop trying to live in my self-imposed box and start stepping out into the unknown.
- I promise I will stop looking at myself through the eyes of the world and start looking at myself as a unique individual.
- I promise I will stop focusing on my weaknesses and start focusing on my strengths.
Can you add some of your own? Give it a try and have a Happy New Year. God bless!