Today is Halloween in many countries. The word Halloween means ‘hallowed or holy evening’ and is believed to be of Christian origin, falling on the day before All Saints’ Day (Nov 1) and All Souls’ Day (Nov 2).
The custom of treat or treating goes back to the fifteenth century when groups of poor people, mostly children, would go door-to-door collecting soul cakes for the souls in purgatory. Candles were commonly lit in houses to guide lost souls back to their earthly homes. Various rituals and ceremonies were followed in Ireland, France, Spain, Italy and other countries.
Halloween has now become a huge celebration around the world. People of all ages don costumes to go trick or treating, attend parties, light bonfires, visit haunted attractions, watch horror movies and take part in other amusing and entertaining events.
I used to enjoy Halloween when I was a child, dressing up and going out with my friends to pick up a few treats. Then as a mother, I continued to dress up and go out with my children. It was fun seeing all the cute costumes and we had a good time. However, now I must confess that I’ve stopped celebrating Halloween because it just isn’t fun anymore. It has just become another commercial adventure that convinces us to spend too much money on costumes, decorations and candy.
- We dress our children in costumes that are too scary or too sexy which forms their ideas on how they should dress.
- We teach them to get as much candy as they can so they learn to become greedy.
- We allow our teens to go trick or treating and often they complain or act in an aggressive manner when they don’t get the kind of candy they like.
- Young children are being allowed to watch horror movies or go to haunted displays which can have a negative impact on them.
- Children being injured or killed (according to stats – twice as many children die in car-pedestrian accidents on Halloween than on any other day)
- Then there are a lot of evil rituals held on Halloween that I won’t even mention
So you might think I’m just a party pooper, but after giving some treats to my grandson tonight I will probably be out somewhere enjoying the evening air while a majority of the world celebrates Halloween.
Now here is something I like to see http://youtu.be/GkBDRUO8hAo