We all have different holiday traditions and we celebrate according to our beliefs. Many families gather together to share a meal and open presents. Others travel to a vacation spot to relax and forget about the stresses of everyday life. Some people don’t celebrate Christmas because of various reasons and it is just another day for them. Then there are those who don’t have anyone to spend Christmas with because their families live too far away, they have no family, there is conflict or all their loved ones have passed away.
Most of us have high expectations of Christmas. We want to spend time with family and friends, enjoying the season. When this doesn’t happen we feel like something is wrong and we react in a negative way, often hurting ourselves in the process.
Christmas can be a difficult time if you are alone. However, being alone does not have to result in unhappiness. Many people spend Christmas alone by choice and they are not lonely or miserable. It is all a matter of perception.
Instead of feeling bad about the season, try making a list of things you like to do and then take action. Here are some ideas:
- Watch some favourite movies, read some books, listen to music.
- Call some friends and invite them to come for coffee. They might feel lonely too and enjoy the company.
- Consider getting a pet if you don’t have one. They are great companions. Find one that suits your needs and is easy to care for. Having a dog is a great excuse for taking a walk.
- If you belong to a church, make sure you attend Christmas services. If you don’t, consider attending one as it will help you feel part of the celebration.
- Organize your home or start a new project.
- Do something creative. Starting writing, drawing or do some crafts.
- Play a game like solitaire or do crossword puzzles.
- Visit a mall while they are open and watch people.
- Help volunteer at a soup kitchen or visit a senior home and share yourself with others. This is guaranteed to bring happiness to all.
- Always be positive about life.
These ideas are great for anytime of year. If you fill your life with positive activity and surround yourself with positive people, you won’t have time to feel lonely. Treat yourself like the special person you are and have a very merry Christmas! Love to everyone! :)
This is the message of Christmas: We are never alone. ~Taylor Caldwell