Christmas is great time of year to clean up your home and make room for all those new trinkets and toys. We all keep things that we don’t need or even want anymore. Instead of continuing to clutter our homes, why not donate any good used items to a local charity where they will be appreciated and recycle anything that can be used again. There are also websites where you can offer free items such as www.freecycle.org
Get the whole family active in sorting through stuff. It helps keep your home clutter-free and teaches responsibility. Getting your children in the habit of donating their excess toys is a valuable life lesson in sharing and helping others.
Here are some suggestions:
- Sort through your closets and take out any items that you are no longer wearing – items that don’t fit, don’t match anything, you don’t even like anymore
- Look through your cupboards and take out any household items that you don’t need – the ones that are shoved to the back and you don’t ever use
- Check your shelves and cabinets for any items that are just sitting and collecting dust – ornaments you don’t like anymore, books you don’t read
- Check for areas that are cluttered, like basements and garages – sort through items and remove any that you no longer need, get rid of anything that is damaged or broken
- Sort through your child’s toys – there are probably lots that they no longer play with or care about
- Take any old electronics to an electronics recycling centre
While you are getting rid of material things, it is a great time to get rid of any negative emotions you may have stored up inside. Are you keeping any anger, bitterness, jealousy or anything else that you really don’t need? Try to release these negative feelings and forgive anyone who has hurt you. Start the new year with an uncluttered home and an uncluttered heart!