I’ll be happy when…..
- I finish school
- I get a better job
- I have more money
- I get married
- I buy a new car or house
- I have kids
- I take a vacation
- I retire
Do you remember thinking any of these things? I sure do. We always believe that we will be happy when we get something we want or when something happens.
Then the wonderful moment comes when our dream comes true and we are extremely happy. But for how long? Only until we start wanting something else. Why? Because we are looking for happiness in the wrong places. Society leads us to believe that we will find happiness in other people and in possessions. However, the only thing that can make us happy is ourselves. If we always place our happiness in something else, we will continue to be disappointed.
Research has been done on what makes people happy. Money and possessions are important if they are meeting our basic needs and making our lives more comfortable, but beyond that, they do little to make us really happy. Here is a list of what can make you happy:
- loving yourself and others
- having good relationships (family and friends)
- having a purpose in life (setting goals)
- believing in yourself
- positive thinking
- personal freedom
- being thankful for what you have (not what you don’t have)
- attending worship services
- having good health
- being able to forgive others (not holding grudges, being angry)
- giving to others (time, talents, money)